Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

5 Things I Do For Self-Love



I had been feeling a bit melancholy the past few days.  I don't know if it had to do with Mercury going direct sometime around last Tuesday morning (because that's when it started) or if it just had to do with the overly-sensitive nature of mine to absorb everything like a vacuum (so I've been told).  Whatever it was, I was in a tizzy over nothing I could actually pinpoint definitively.  What I did sense, however, was that all I really wanted was to feel love.  It seemed to me that I had slowly and gradually been separated from love, and I don't know when it actually started drifting away from me.  Again, having been through Mercury retro and now going direct, perhaps I was simply releasing all the energy built-up during those three weeks. Whatever it was, I felt depleted of love and I needed to refill. 

So after a crying spell that lasted a good part of the morning, I finally decided to simply allow myself to feel whatever it was and just go about my day with the presence of sadness looming over me, weighing me down emotionally.  I knew it was there, and I let it process, all the while doing my best to be cheery and positive.  So when my friend called me up to say it was Zumba night, I thought, "It might be good to get out."  Then, later on the feeling-sorry-for-myself part of me that was feeling absent of love, changed its mind and thought, "I don't think it's a good idea."  So there I was, my head and my heart were on two completely different planes. But, I knew what I had to do -- I put my best Zumba foot forward and went. Because that's what self-love is all about. 

In the mix, it hit me:  there are a few other things I find very consoling in times of dreary loveless moments that help me replenish the love that I thirst for.

My 5 Favorite Ways to Lift My Self-Love -- Higher & Higher!!

Dance, Sing (or both) My Heart Out
I went to Zumba that night.  Needless to say, even after the energetic dancing and jumping around to various salsa and quebradita latin music mixed with some old school Michael Jackson and The Gap Band, my heart was still tender.  But, the dancing certainly took my mind off my sadness for awhile, and I got a good work out, so it worked two-fold.  I love to dance and I love to sing -- and no matter how I'm feeling, when I do one of those two things, or simultaneously, I always end up with a smile on my face, and an increase of love in my heart. Tuning into your fun self is what it's all about here.  Mine is music that picks me up with dance and song. Tap into your song, you're heart will be feeling the love.

Connect to My Spiritual Self
Most people desire to connect to their spiritual self and many people do in their own way.  It's kind of sacred, and usually we don't like to share how or when we do it. And when someone does share it with us, it can sometimes feel like preaching.  So for most of us, it's a subject we keep mostly to ourselves.  But, taking some time to connect with your source is, to me, one of the best demonstrations of self-love.  I chant -- whether it's in Sanskrit, a kundalini mantra, some kirtan or a healing meditation -- just to re-connect to the center of my being and become one with my higher self.  If this is not your type of ritual, find something that can just help you center. I had an energy clearing the same night I was in Zumba, and let me tell you, the next day, the feelings of sadness and emotion disappeared, as if I had never been in that spell at all.  You can find this type of therapy, like reiki, angel attunements, etc., just make sure its from a true and trusting source. There is nothing more fulfilling or blissful than those moments of escape with my soul.  And when I return to my human state of consciousness, I am always, always surrounded by pure self-love.

Being Myself
We all have a quirkiness about us.  It's what makes you an individual, different from others.  It can be  a silly side of you that doesn't come out much anymore.  I do believe that silliness is a description for the character inside of us that likes to have fun, that loves all things free-born with the desire to just laugh and be happy no matter what others may think.  Allowing yourself to be quirky as part of your personality and character is your God-given right -- and if it's been lost, or altered, RECLAIM it!  It's who you are, and its a part of you to love and let others love you for it.  

Cooking My Favorite Dishes
Ahhhh, this so therapeutic for me.  Everyone knows the saying, "The way to the heart is through the stomach."  Cooking my favorites dishes always connects me to the heart of my culture, allows me to explore new tastes and smells, and I can show my family just how much I love them through their stomachs!  The recipes that have been handed down to me by my mom, and new ones I've picked up, whipped up by my own two hands and added my own special "sabores" gets me excited to cook for my family, and for me it's love all the way down to the last bite. Mm mm mm delicious!  Oh, and don't forget the vino!

Visit My Favorite Places

I would love to pack up and go whenever I get the urge   . . . but although I don't have the luxury of flying off to a hidden island (like the Seychelles) or a destination of wonder (like Macchu Picchu), I have another method to book a one-way ticket to paradise. I improvise with my imagination and travel to my favorite destination by daydreaming away.  Not imaginative enough? Okay maybe take a drive, or a walk to an area of tranquility or fun.  I used to love watering my garden while watching the butterflies flutter about the bright bed of flowers and green plants. Whatever moves you -- just do it for you!  Whether you wander into the unknown of your imagination, perhaps take a day trip to your favorite place, or a weekend getaway with a good book, taking off on your own can do the trick.  When you come back, you will love yourself for it!  Hasta la vista sadness, bien venido al AMOR! (Goodbye sadness, hello to love!)

So there you have it . . . my five ways to show me how much I love me . . . and when I love myself, others find it easier to love me, too.  My ways may not be your cup of tea, and I'm not trying to make you like them -- but I do want to tempt you into finding the things that shine love into your life. 
Before trying to find love in things or people, find it within you. 
There is an infinite well of love deep inside of you that is waiting to be drawn.  Once you discover your self-love, it will be easier to manage life when the going gets tough.  At least you'll have you and your heart to make it all better.  And not to mention, better prepared for the next Mercury retrograde . . .  uh-oh, I better get the Kleenex ready!



On This Note:  When your heart is heavy and full of grief remember you are a spark of pure and natural love.  You can shine once again.

I hope this blog motivates at least one person to find their courage and start moving toward making their dream come true!

Please feel free to leave me a comment below and provide your feedback. I would love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment